Earthquake Baroque Church also called “The Paoay Church”is the most well known Church The of Philippines. This Church is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. The Foundation Stone of this church was laid by the Augustinian Missionaries in 1704; the Foundation Stone of the Belfry was laid in 1793. The people started using it in 1894, even before its completion, it was formally inaugurated on February 28, 1896. Large coral stones were used for the lower level of the church building and bricks were used for the upper levels. The walls were made of coral blocks, tree sap, lumber and stucco-plastered bricks, these walls are 1.67 meters thick. These are supported by 24 massive buttresses of intricate design. The church was partially destroyed twice by earthquakes in 1706 and 1927. Permanent columns were built to support the ceiling while carrying out restoration work of the Church. This church is uniquely beautiful and still stands attracting the tourists with its majestic structure designed as a mixture of Oriental, Gothic and Baroque influences.
The belfry of the Church stands at a few meters distance from the church main building. Like the other belfries of Ilocos churches, Katipuneros used the belfry as watch point in the 1896 revolution. The Guerrillas of World War II also used it to watch coming enemies.