In 1608 AD, The Santa Cruz Church was built by the Jesuits as a parish church for the Chinese immigrants in Manila. The Church was controlled by the Jesuits up to 1768. Shortly before the expulsion of the Jesuit in the Philippines, a replica of the venerated image of the Nuestra Señora del Pillar was brought over to Sta. Cruz Church from Zaragoza, Spain. The Church of Santa Cruz is dedicated to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. The church was enlarged with the additional wings on both sides to form a cross in 1672. The original structure of Sta. Cruz Church was badly damaged by several earthquakes.On January 26, 1945, during the Liberation of Philippines from Japanese occupation, the church was destroyed by fire. The Church was later on reconstructed in 1948 with the help of the 10th Post-war Executive Council of Santa Cruz.