Dedicated to Nuestra Senora de Remedios (Our Lady of Remedies), the patroness of women in childbirth, The Malate Church is a Baroque-style church which faces a small park and Manila Bay. Statue of the Virgin Mary in her role as “Our Lady of Remedies” was brought from Spain in 1624 and the revered statue now stands at the altar.
In the Philippines history, the Malate Church has played a very central role. It is famous for being one of the most ancient surviving churches besides those found in Intramuros. The Church was built at the behest of the Augustinians in the 1600 AD. During the British attack in the 1760 the church was overrun by the British and kept occupied by them for some time. The Malate Church was repaired, but in 1773 the church was again destroyed and had to be rebuilt almost entirely. The Church suffered worst damage during the Second World War as Manila became a focal point of many battles and air raids. The shrine has been refurbished and is now a popular tourist attraction. Rebuilding and Reconstruction has been done in such a manner that the basic facade of the Malate Church has been left unchanged, the Baroque appearance and architecture of the structure remains as was the original.