The Basilica of Our Lady of the Mount, more commonly known as Mount Mary Church, is a Roman Catholic Church located in Bandra, Mumbai. The Mount Mary Church is considered to be the oldest in Mumbai city of India. It is situated in the West Bandra, past Hill Road, and was built initially around 1640. There are many beliefs connected with the destruction of the church, which was finally rebuilt in 1761. The church is one of the most visited churches in the city. The church stands on a hillock, about 80 meters above sea level overlooking the Arabian Sea. Many of the faithful attest to the miraculous powers of St. Mary, history behind the current statue of Our Lady goes back to the 16th century when Jesuit priests from Portugalbrought the statue to the current location and constructed a chapel.
In 1700 Arab pirates interested in the gold-lined object held in the hand disfigured the statue by cutting off the right hand. In 1760, the church was rebuilt and the statue was substituted with a statue of Our Lady of Navigators in St. Andrew’s church nearby. This statue has an interesting legend. It goes that a Koli fisherman dreamt that he would find a statue in the sea. The statue was found floating in the sea between 1700 and 1760. In 1761, the original statue was renovated with a child in her arms. The main attraction of the church is the Bandra Fair, which is celebrated in the month of September. The week long festival is a fun filled extravaganza, wherein The Mount Mary Church as well as its surroundings is decorated with beautiful decorations. Thousands of people visit the church on this occasion.