The Dresdner Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) is a Lutheran Church in Dresden, Germany . The Church was a magnificent baroque building, designed by Dresden’s city architect, George Bähr. The Dresdner Frauenkirche was constructed between 1726 and 1743, it was famous for its cupola, until it was bombed during World War II. The Dresden Frauenkirche survived the firebombing of Dresden during World War II but was totally burned out and collapsed the next day. The city authorities deliberately left the ruins of The Dresdner Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady)as it was for years, as a harsh memento of the war.It has now been reconstructed as a milestone of reunion between former enemies. The reconstruction of its exterior was completed in 2004, it’s interior in 2005 and after 13 years of rebuilding, The Dresdner Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady)was re-consecrated on 30 October 2005.
The rebuilding of The Dresdner Frauenkirche was financed almost entirely by private donations from all around the world. The Church possesses the largest dome north of the Alps. The original stones burnt from the fire were reclaimed from the ruins and combined with new, lighter colored stones to give it a remarkable effect, perfect blending of the past and the present architecture. The Golden Cross on top of the church was crafted by a British goldsmith, whose father was an Allied pilot in the air-raids over Dresden.