The Ludwigskirche, Ludwig’s Church is Saarbrucken’s Landmark Protestant Church; the Church is a lifetime design work of Master Builder Stengel. The Ludwigskirche was built between 1762 and 1775 in view of the castle in Saarbrucken and is regarded as the greatest of Baroque Master Builder Friedrich Joachim Stengel’s life work. The consecration of the church took place on August 25, 1775. During the Second World War, The Ludwigskirche was destroyed, bombing on October 5, 1944 left only the surrounding walls intact, subsequently The Ludwigskirche was rebuilt to the original design. The church, the square (Ludwigsplatz) and the surrounding civil servants’ residences combine to form a distinctive baroque collection.
The plan of The Ludwigskirche is shaped somewhat like a Greek Cross; the arms are 38.5 m and 34.2 m long and are each 17 m wide. The interior of the church is decorated with ornamental stucco and the floor is made of sandstone.
Saturday – 12 to 12.20 pm
Sunday – 10 am