La Basilica de Higüey is one of the most respected monuments of the Dominican Republic. It is located in on the main street of the province of Salva Leon de Higüey. The first stone of the Basilica was blessed by Archbishop Octavio A. Beras. La Basilica was inaugurated the 21st of January of 1971 by the Dr. Joaquin Balaguer (1974-1978) and it was designed by French architects to replace with the antique sanctuary built back in 1572. La Basilica de Higuey is a Dominican Monument since the 12th of October of 1970, the 17th of October, 1970, the Pope Pablo IV declared it Minor Basilica.
Two years later, the 15th of august of 1972, La Basilica was declared the Diocese of Salva Leon de Higuey. La Basilica is a structure of monumental dimensions, designed in the shape of a Latin cross; the entry is made of bronze with 24 carat gold water. La Basilica has a bell tower composed by 45 bronze bells. The main arch is 75 meters high. The entire temple courtyard, porch, vestry, patio and garden cover an area of 40,000 square meters.