St. John’s Church is located in Jhelum Cantonment; Pakistan, beside the River Jhelum. It was built in 1860 and is a landmark of the city. It is a Protestant church and was in use during the British colonial period. For forty years it remained closed, but has been renovated and reopened.
The church was built to commemorate the British victory in the Indian Rebellion of 1857 and this church and the names on the lectern show that Jhelum was also a center of resistance against the British Empire. 35 British soldiers of the 24th Regiment of Foot Infantry died in Jhelum on 7 July 1857.
Jhelum City is located near the site of the famous Battle of the Hydaspes between the armies of Alexander the Great and Raja Porus (the Thathaal King). This battle took place a few miles downstream from the city centre, along the river banks. The city was founded to commemorate the death of Alexander’s horse, Bucephalus, and was originally called Bucephala.