Verse of the Day
In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, “Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage”. Mathew 2:1:2
The Christmas is never complete without the story of three Wise Men (Three Magi’s). No one knows how many stars exist, but the number would be surprising. The Christian decorate star over their houses to commemorate this event. Our universe likely contains more than 100 billion galaxies, and each of those galaxies may have more than 100 billion stars. On a clear, dark night Earth’s sky reveals only about 3,000 stars to the naked eye. Humans of many cultures have charted the heavens by these stars. Astrology is the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world. Three Magi’s are considered as wise men who perhaps understand astrology and movement of stars. The important things about these three magi are as follows:-
- Three Magi’s are only mentioned in gospel of Mathew.
- The Number three represent Trinity.
- They were probably experts in astrology.
- They travelled hundreds of kilometers probably by road to meet Jesus.
- They were guided by God through star to reach at right place.
- Through their knowledge of astrology they could recognize the star, get guidance from it and reach at a correct place. The star must visible to ordinary people but they were unable to understand its significance.
- They considered Jesus to be a worldly King.
- They brought expensive gifts for Jesus Christ in shape of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.
- Their religion or belief is not mentioned in Bible but they followed the instructions of God that were given to them first through star and then in their dream.
Three Magi’s were lucky to see Jesus as a baby child. While looking at this beautiful baby Jesus; they must be considering that after sometime Jesus would be a great king with huge worldly empire. Although they were very wise men still they must not had thought that Jesus would be a person who will redeem and take away sins of complete mankind. They must have seen the smile of baby Jesus, but they must not have heard the words of Jesus as redeemer and savior of Mankind. Today, we are lucky to have complete teachings of Jesus Christ available to us recorded in Bible; we can read any part of it any time. Three Magi’s had to travel hundreds of miles may be for months that too either on foot or animal transport to see Jesus and offer their gifts. Today Bible “The Word of God” may be available at arms stretch but some of us are so ignorant that we are unable to benefit from it. Perhaps, we are like thousands of ordinary people who must have seen that Shinning Christmas Star but were completely unaware of its significance.